Managing User Roles
You can assign user roles to control the actions and permissions of users. This table summarizes each user role and its supported functionality, indicated by a ✓.
|Action||Company Admin||Technical Admin||Technical Contact||Finance||Financial Contact||Read Only|
|Update a service||✓||✓||✓|
|Approve a VXC in Marketplace||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Lock and unlock services||✓|
|Create, view, and edit service keys||✓||✓||✓|
|Enable and update billing markets||✓|
|View and pay invoices||✓||✓||✓|
|Create, update, and delete credit cards||✓||✓||✓|
|Create, view, and update users||✓|
|Update user details||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|View Marketplace profile||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Update Marketplace profile||✓|
|Subscribe to notifications||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
Here are some details to consider when creating user roles:
- Company Admin – Company Admin users have access to all user privileges. We recommend limiting the number of Company Admin users to only those who require full access, but defining at least two for redundancy.
- Technical Admin – This role is for technical users who know how to create and approve orders.
- Technical Contact – This role is for technical users who know how to design and modify services but don’t have the authority to approve orders.
- Finance – Finance users should have a financial responsibility within the organization while also understanding the consequences of their actions if they delete or approve services.
Note: While creating services, direct customers can see the cost of the service before deploying. It is also possible to see the cost of deployed services by selecting a service in the Portal and viewing the Details tab.
- Financial Contact – This user role is similar to the Finance role without the ability to place and approve orders, delete services, or administer service keys.
- Read Only – Read Only is the most restrictive role. Note that a Read Only user can view service details which you may want to keep secure and private.
You can add user roles when you create a new user, or you can edit user information to change their role. For details about adding a new user, see Adding and Modifying Users.
To edit users, you need Company Admin privileges.
To manage user roles and permissions
Log in to the Portal and choose Company > Manage Users.
The Manage Users page appears. This page lists existing users and you can add a new user or edit existing user privileges and contact information.
Click Edit to modify an existing user’s role or click New User (at the bottom of the page) to set up a new user and define their role.
- Select the role for the user.
- Click Save.