Setting Up Service Keys
Service keys let you connect ports in separate Megaport accounts and enable business-to-business VXCs.
Requirements and assumptions
Before you create a service key, ensure that you meet these requirements:
- Access to the Megaport Portal
- Both you and your customer have Ports on the Megaport network, with live cross connects on both ends
- Layer 2/Layer 3 devices are on each end terminating the physical connections
- Equipment supporting 802.1q trunking is on the two links connecting into Megaport
Creating a service key
You can create either a single use or a multiuse service key.
Once you create service keys, they cannot be removed.
To create a service key
In the Megaport Portal, go to the Services page and select the Port you want to use.
Click the Service Keys icon.
- Enter a label (name) for the key.
- Select Single Use or Multi-Use.
- Assign a rate limit.
- For single use keys only, specify a VLAN ID. This the VLAN ID for the B-End. When a customer uses this service key to create a connection, they can specify a VLAN ID for the A-End.
- Specify how long the key will be valid.
- Select Active.
If you don’t want the key to be available right away, do not select Active – you can edit this key later to change this setting.
- Click Add to save the key.
Viewing, copying, and editing a service key
When configured, service keys appear on the Portal. Click the service key icon for a Port to show the configured keys.
The service key icon will only display if the Port is available for new connections, the current user has ordering privileges, and it does not already have an untagged VXC attached.
Click the key to copy it to the clipboard; click Edit to make changes.
Sharing the key
You can share the key however you prefer, such as email or messaging.
When you copy and send the key, recipients can create a VXC to you based on your parameters. Remember, both you and your customers must have active Ports on the Megaport network for this to work.
The end user cannot alter or modify the service key parameters.
Creating a VXC with a service key
Once the service key is created and shared, anybody with the key can create a connection.
To create a VXC with a service key
Log in to the Megaport Portal.
Find the Port that you want to use for the connection and click +Connection and click Enter Service Key.
Enter the service key in the Megaport Service Key ID field.
Megaport validates the key and displays basic information about the key.
Specify these connection details:
- Name your connection – The name of your VXC to be shown in the Megaport Portal.
- Service Level Reference (optional) – Specify a unique identifying number for the VXC to be used for billing purposes, such as a cost center number or a unique customer ID. The service level reference number appears for each service under the Product section of the invoice. You can also edit this field for an existing service.
- Rate Limit – The speed of your connection in Mbps, up to the maximum limit defined by the key.
Preferred A-End VLAN – Optionally, specify an unused VLAN ID for this connection. This must be a unique VLAN ID on this Port and can range from 2 to 4093. If you specify a VLAN ID that is already in use, the system displays the next available VLAN number. The VLAN ID must be unique to proceed with the order. If you don’t specify a value, Megaport will assign one.
(The B-End VLAN for the provider side termination will be automatically populated based on the service key.)
Alternatively, you can click Untag to remove the VLAN tagging for this connection. The untagged option limits you to only one VXC deployed on this Port.
A summary page appears that includes the monthly cost. Click Back to make changes or click Add VXC to move this configuration to your cart. Once you have finished this configuration, you can configure additional VXCs or proceed through the checkout process.