Creating a Port
This topic describes how to create a Port (sometimes referred to as a Megaport) in the Megaport network. The Megaport Portal steps you through selecting a data center location, specifying the Port details, and placing the order.
The Port is your interface to the Megaport network, and you will need to deploy a Port wherever you want to direct traffic. To connect, you can start with a single data center location; however, we recommend selecting two different locations to provide redundancy.
Before proceeding, ensure that you have set up your Megaport Portal account. For details, see Setting Up a Megaport Account.
To create a new Port
- In the Megaport Portal, go to the Services page.
- Click Create Port.
- Select your preferred data center location and click Next.
To search for your local market in the list, enter a country in the Country Filter or a data center detail in the Search filter.
Specify the details for the Port.
- Port Speed – Select 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps from the Port Speed drop-down list. Ensure that your equipment is capable of interfacing with the selected speed.
- Port Name – Specify a name for the Port that is easily identifiable, particularly if you plan on having more than one Port.
- Megaport Marketplace Visibility – By default, the Port is private to your enterprise and consumes services from the Megaport network for your own internal company, team, and resources. When set to Private, the Port is not searchable in the Megaport Marketplace (however, others can still connect to you using a service key). Click Public to make the new Port and profile visible on the Megaport network for inbound connection requests. It is possible to change the Port from Private to Public after the initial setup. For details on setting up a Marketplace profile, see Creating a Megaport Marketplace Profile.
- Minimum Term – Specify 1 month, 12 months, or 36 months. Longer terms result in a lower monthly rate. By default, a rolling month-to-month term is selected.
- Invoice Reference (optional) – Specify an identifying number for the Port to be used for billing purposes, such as a purchase order number.
- Port Diversity – Choose a diversity option from the drop-down list. You can create two diverse Ports or choose an existing Port for the new Port to be diverse from. For details on configuring Port diversity, see Port Diversity.
- LACP on Port – Click Enable if you want the Port to be a member of a LAG. To enable LACP, the Port speed must be 10 Gbps or higher. Specify the number of Ports to include in the LAG, up to a maximum of 8. For details on LAG, see Creating a Link Aggregation Group.
The price updates dynamically based on your selections.
Click Next to view the Summary screen.
Confirm the selected options and click Add Port.
The new Port appears under Configured Services, ready for you to add a connection. On the left side of the screen, Configured Services displays newly created Port(s) and the monthly charges.
- Click Order to deploy the new Port(s) now, or click Save to save the configured services before placing the order. Click Create Port to add more Ports in other locations.
Click Order Now to initiate the provisioning of your new Port.
After the Port is provisioned, Megaport generates a Letter of Authorization (LOA) specifying the demarcation point to be applied to your service.
Click Download LOA next to the new Port on the Services page.
Megaport will also send you the LOA PDF by email.
Provide the LOA to your data center operator to establish the physical cross connect from your network device to your new Port.
The cost of a new cross connection and any related VXC fees are the responsibility of the customer, as outlined in Megaport’s Global Services Agreement.
Once the Port has been provisioned and deployed, you have access to the Megaport network and can start adding Virtual Cross Connects (VXCs) to the Port. For details on adding VXCs, see Creating a VXC.