Megaport is a software layer that provides an easy way to create and manage network connections. Through the Megaport network, you can deploy private point-to-point connectivity between any of the locations on Megaport’s global network infrastructure.
The Megaport network
Megaport operates a global network infrastructure and manages this network through Software Defined Networking (SDN). This network enables fast, flexible, and on-demand connectivity to hundreds of global services with an extensive footprint throughout Asia Pacific, North America, Europe, and the Middle East.
You can use this global network by creating a high-speed interface called a Port (sometimes referred to as a Megaport). By creating a Port, you can create point-to-point connections between any of your own locations or to a connected Cloud Service Provider (CSP). You can also connect to any other service that is connected to the Megaport network.
Since the network is managed through software, you can set up a new connection or change an existing connection in less than a minute. You can deploy and manage services through the Megaport Portal or API.
Easy, flexible, and on-demand
- As your business demands change, you can easily increase or decrease your bandwidth at any time.
- Create and run a global network with or without the need for physical infrastructure.
- Megaport network uses a pay-as-you-go service model. Connections can range from 1 Mbps to 20 Gbps, depending on the data center.
- Flexible contract terms that align with cloud consumption models.
- Provision direct connectivity to the leading cloud and network providers on the Megaport network.
- Connect to multiple cloud providers and cloud regions from a single interconnection point for cost-effective multi-region redundancy.
Secure and private connectivity
- Establish seamless, point-to-point connectivity between regions and CSPs from your physical data center or without the need to own and manage hardware.
- Keep your traffic secure when connecting between metros, regions, and countries.
- The Megaport network does not traverse the internet. All CSP connections are enabled through their dedicated partner connections and fully integrated with CSP APIs.
- Deploy scalable bandwidth between your data centers for storage backup and replication.
- Manage your connectivity autonomously and optimize your workflow using Megaport’s API.
- Ports – High-speed Ethernet interfaces (1 Gbps, 10 Gbps, and 100 Gbps) that connect to the Megaport network.
- Virtual Cross Connect (VXC) – Connection between any two endpoints on the Megaport network. Most connections support capacity ranging from 1 Mbps to 10 Gbps. Within the same metro, some high-capacity ports can support up to 20 Gbps connections.
- Megaport Cloud Router (MCR) – Virtual router for on-demand, private, Layer 3 connectivity to service providers between key global routing zones.
- Megaport Virtual Edge (MVE) – On-demand Network Functions Virtualization service that supports branch-to-cloud connectivity on the Megaport SDN. MVE provides the edge-computing framework to deploy SD-WAN gateways, virtual routers, and integrated transit gateways.
- Internet Exchange (IX) – Connect to content and services across multiple regions, exchanging traffic directly and reducing bandwidth usage on client internet connections.
- Megaport Internet – A scalable, on-demand service that allows you to connect to the internet from Ports, MCRs, and MVEs. As part of the MVE provisioning, you create a Megaport Internet connection to provide connectivity and to allow MVE to register and communicate with the SD-WAN overlay network.